Odd cross-ref substitution 7.2

David Kuhn david.kuhn at amdocs.com
Mon Sep 15 07:49:19 PDT 2008

I do actually work with Text Symbols showing except, as you do, for a
Print preview. (I suppose it's possible that I couldn't resist an edit
in this mode, however.)

The cross-reference markers tend to overlap the first character in a
heading and I find it very difficult to believe that I selected the
section and text under it, but missed the marker. Though it must have
happened as a fluke of cursor positioning.

But even with the text symbols showing, this would have been difficult
to see, a marker that overlaps a character jumping to the next heading.

I do have a larger issue, though with the symbols.
Sometimes I find it very difficult to tell what they are doing there.
The upside down T is conditional text.
The right-side up T is a cross-reference marker.
(I forget about the index.)
But other than that, aren't there some additional functions of markers
in which the same symbol can be used for different things?
How do you distinguish?

There was a document that I couldn't identify what purpose particular
markers served. The writer decided, then, to delete all the markers in
the document. I couldn't believe it (even more that he reported no
problems with cross-references afterward.)

In short, is there a way to select a marker and find out what it is
doing?

David Kuhn
Technical Writer, PBG

+1.972.9.776.1956 (desk)
+1.972.54.307.8987 (mobile)

AMDOCS > CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE SYSTEMS INNOVATION