InDesign as a replacement for Framemaker

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Mon Sep 15 14:17:47 PDT 2008

Gotta say, after Peter's run through, that I am considering trying out
CS3 on an existing project that is mostly gnarly tables, cross
references, and list and index markers.

While it sounds great that ID is now able to perform most core
functions it is with concern that some are only available with the
addition of plug-ins. How will this affect backward compatibility for
old and archived files?

The backward compatibility in FM is one of its greatest strengths, for
instance I have in the last couple of days been doing stuff with FM
files I have not seen for 8 years. FM has no problem with working with
these but I doubt that ID+various plug-ins would behave as nicely. One
of the great pleasures of flicking QuarkXPress off the system was also
saying good bye to the incessant problems I had with Xtensions'
missing warnings, I would not want to put myself back into that
situation with ID. On the other extreme, that is why I also produce a
fair amount in LaTeX - for the fact that if all else fails, it is only
text but ID is not.

Cheers
Alan

--