FrameMaker vs. InDesign, round CS4

quills at airmail.net quills at airmail.net
Tue Sep 23 13:05:32 PDT 2008

Sarah,

Every time I try the demo of InDesign I can't get past the part where
I make a page and look for where the text entry starts. As in, where
is the cursor for text?

It still feels like a page layout program, it still acts like a page
layout program, it still wants you to obsess over page layout rather
than content creation. As far as I've been able to see, the real
difference in the two programs is that the paradigm for the layout
and tools is based upon page layout and graphics programs rather than
text creation. While it may be true that I would be able to function
in that environment, the corresponding argument that the tools
require a lot of minutiae font fiddling and placement fiddling make
me feel like I'd be wasting more time.

Whenever I go into that program I feel like I've opened up Quark Express.

Scott