FrameMaker vs. InDesign, round CS4

Paul Findon pfindon at infopage.net
Tue Sep 23 15:09:32 PDT 2008

Hi Sarah,

Not sure how strong it will be, but ID CS4 certainly appears to offer
the tools that will allow some unstructured FM users to make the
switch. Incidentally, it looks like Apple may have finally switched
to InDesign for its user guides, which until now have been made with
Mac FM6. The iPhone and iPod touch user guides both appear to have
been made with InDesign CS3.

Another new ID feature relevant to FM users is Smart Text Reflow. ID
can now automatically add or delete pages as text expands or shrinks.

FWIW:
<http://indesignsecrets.com/whats-new-in-indesign-cs4.php>

Alas, one FM feature that's still missing (perhaps for ID CS5) is the
ability to control whether paragraphs stay in column or across all
columns at the paragraph level. A colleague recently user ID to make
a manual with a layout that uses this FM feature heavily. She said it
seemed to take twice as long as it did with FM, manually breaking and
linking text frames on every page, and just when she thought the job
was finished, a series of edits meant that many of her carefully
positioned text frames had to be manually adjusted again and again.

Paul