Framescript to remove all images (but leave the AFrames)

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 06:25:54 PDT 2009

Hi Jeremy

I see that this is very difficult to explain via e-mail: we seem to
misunderstand each other here.

I'll try again:

1. I have a big Word file (+600 MB) which needs to be converted to
FrameMaker. In the Word file, the pictures have been imported "copied into
document", cropped, the resolution of the pictures is way too high and some
pictures have callouts placed on top of them.

2. I open the Word file in FrameMaker and I see the following:

   - The size of my FrameMaker file is now +870 MB because, of course, the
   images are still copied into doc.
   - The cropping info is not maintained.
   - The callouts are gone, distorted, or not where they were in the Word
   file.

Yes, I  have tried the process you suggested, at least for the images which
did not have any callouts or cropping.

You suggested: "Then go through the doc in Frame; as you come to each
graphic, select it (the image, *not* the anchored frame),
identify the appropriate exported image (which is in the
original format it had when imported), and File > Import."

When I select an image (not the AFrame) and then choose File > Import >
File, however, I get the message "Cannot specify a dpi setting for the
selected graphic object" (as expected).

And yes, I know that referenced graphics are recommended in most cases.

Anyway, I have removed all the embedded graphics in the meantime (using
Klaus Mueller's Framescript - thanks again, Klaus). No need to worry about
this anymore (and the size of the FM file is now 1.7 MB instead of +870!

Cheers

--
Yves Barbion • Managing Director • Adobe-Certified FrameMaker Instructor
www.scripto.nu  • skype: yves.barbion  • T: +32 494 12 01 89