Usage of WebWorks (ePublisher)

John Sgammato jsgammato at IMPRIVATA.com
Wed Apr 15 06:47:49 PDT 2009

We abandoned WebWorks in favor of Mif2Go a couple of years ago. Mif2Go can do more things and is much cheaper. It doesn't look as slick and was harder to learn to the 80% mark, but WebWorks always had some bizarre things that I never did get used to.
Mif2Go has awesome support, which WebWorks never could say when I was using it.
After switching to Mif2Go I was able to add some additional deliverables that I think WebWorks could not produce, like an images-only library that Sales uses instead of pestering me for screenshots, and MS Word output that I am using to set up kits for the customer to use when rolling out our product to end-users.
The biggest drawback is the (virtual lack of a) user interface. Once you grok how it all works and you get used to using the massive, comprehensive user guide, then you can work miracles with it.
IMO the bottom line was the initial learning curve for the rational Mif2Go was well worth it compared to the irrational (to me) WebWorks weirdnesses, like that annoying splash screen.
ymmv, etc
john

________________________________

From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com on behalf of Nancy Allison
Sent: Wed 4/15/2009 9:38 AM
Cc: framers at frameusers.com
Subject: Usage of WebWorks (ePublisher)

Sorry for sloppy subject line in my previous post. Here it is again, slightly improved:

At this late date, I am getting my first chance to use Webworks Standard Edition 7.0 to create HTML Help. Out of curiosity, is WebWorks still in common use? Has it been surpassed by other tools? I'm wondering how much effort to put into learning this, or if it would be as wise as really immersing myself in an ancient copy of ForeHelp.

Any knowledge on this topic greatly appreciated.

--Nancy