Weird autonumbering problem with Framemaker

Wed Apr 22 13:04:24 PDT 2009

Eva Whitley wrote:

> Well, after literally hours of work, I've managed to trace the problem
> to a bad second level heading that was causing the re-set. However,
> fixing it meant trying to re-do the autonumbering on the headings, and
> just can't figure out how to structure the headings so Heading 1.1 in
> Section 2 re-sets as 1.1, not as 4.1 (there are three headings at that
> level in the first Section). I've asked my boss for the assistance of
> someone who has had FrameMaker training to try to fix the problem but
> accept that it's beyond me.

If each section of the book is a separate .fm file contained in a .book
file (and it should be), and if the autonumber settings of the pgf
formats themselves are correct, then the solution is simple:

1) In the book window, select all the section files, and then select
Format > Document > Numbering.

2) In the Numbering Properties dialog, click the Paragraph tab, select
Restart Paragraph Numbering, and click Set.

3) At the bottom of book window, click the Update/Generate button.

Training is a great idea, but if your boss says there's no budget for
it, maybe they'll spring for a copy of Adobe's "FrameMaker Classroom in
a Book" (Google that title for lots of sources). You can educate
yourself pretty quickly by working through it (and maybe adding an FM
reference book or two to your bookshelf).

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer