Importing docs from Word question

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 26 05:41:02 PDT 2009

John,

We've done a lot of what you are starting to do. But we are using FM8, which
has a good Word to FM import filter.  FM7 does not.  The easiest way to
export the graphics from a word file to files in a directory is to save the
word file as HTML. Word will export all the graphics into GIF files.  The
names will all be just numbers, but they are in the order that they appear
in the manual.  You will have to sort them out by chapter and probably
rename them.

The next step is to decide when to break up the word file into chapters.
You can import the whole word file and then break it up in FM, or you can
break up the word file into chapters and import each chapter into FM
separately.  For smaller manuals (100 pages or less, I import the whole word
file and then break it up.  For larger manuals, I break up the word file
first.  Since your word doc is (omigosh) 1000 pages, I'd recommend you break
it up in word.

In FM8, we use the Microsoft 2007 filter when importing the word file.  It
creates frames for all the graphics, but leaves them embedded in the frames.
You have to delete the graphics and import the GIF files manually.  However,
if you have Framescript, you can automate all of this.  Rick Quatro is the
expert on FrameScript.  Maybe he can comment on this.

Hope this helps,
Diane Gaskill