The correct shorthand for writing keyboard shortcuts

Avraham Makeler amakeler at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 10:19:42 PDT 2009

>> You have said that it is irrelevant whether the CTRL key is held or
released between operations, as long as it is held when the M and F keys are
pressed.  Of course this is so; that's how computer keyboards work.  The
computer pays no attention to whether a modifier key is released, because it
receives the code from the keyboard at the moment a key is *pressed*.  If a
modifier key (CTRL, ALT, SHIFT) is held at the same time as a letter key is
pressed, a different code is sent.  Since it is irrelevant whether CTRL is
released between operations,
Yes, I know.

>> I think you do your readers a disservice to encumber them with invented
conventions or instructions about what they *don't* have to do.

Ok, that's a point.

>> MSTP is consistent in using all caps for the modifier keys (CTRL, SHIFT)
and all caps for the letter keys

Yes, thanks for pointing that out.

>> (which is how the letters appear on the keyboard).

Actually - they do *not*. Which is why I made the mistake of writing them
the way I did.
But, again, thanks for pointing out that according to MS they should be
CAPS.

>> For key sequences, the guideline is to use commas followed by spaces.  So
the MSTP instruction would be "press CTRL+M, CTRL+F."

Ok, so that seems to be the bottom line. That's the way I wrote it
originally. Not that I though that it looked great, but just there seemed no
other alternative I could find in the rule book.

And so it's left as self-understood that you don't have to take your finger
off the CTRL key in between.

>> (Adobe has a different standard that uses mixed case, probably stemming
from its compatibility with UNIX, which is case-sensitive in ways that DOS
and Windows weren't and aren't.)

>> As for the SME, I assume that writing documentation according to
standards is not the SM in which they are E; *you* would be the E in that
SM, and entitled to stand your ground!  ;-)

No, I have no problem with that - it's just that I also didn't like what I
wrote.

Thanks,

  - avi