Frame-to-PDF mini-docs

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 13:54:22 PDT 2009

If I'm hearing you correctly, you have chapter level Frame files made
up of small documents concatenated together. And you have a book
containing a herd of these chapters. And you want to output the most
finely-grained level as individual PDFs, right?

If the small documents still exist as independent files, I'd think
about creating a meta-book containing those, and create
pseudo-chapters within the book file instead of using hard files. Then
just output to individual PDF files by selecting "Individual Files" on
the print dialog box.

Another way to go would be to upgrade to FM 9; I think the ability to
nest folders as sections would also let you do this.

Another route may exist through MIF2Go... I think you could set up an
export to MIF, RTF, or HTML that would create break points on your
DocTitle paratags. Generate a PDF of those files (probably using
Acrobat's watched folders), and you're good.

And yet another route would be to create a JavaScript in Acrobat, that
extracts sections based on your DocTitle tags... I think it's
possible, but I've only read the tip of the iceberg on this. There's
some info on the Acrobat web site on how to do this, but I believe the
capability is in Acrobat 9; maybe 8 too.

Good luck,
Art

Art Campbell
               art.campbell at gmail.com