[Free Framers] Importing MIF Snippets

Thu Apr 30 07:32:18 PDT 2009

Rick Quatro wrote:

> There is an old technique where variable definitions, etc. can be
imported
> into a FrameMaker document with a small MIF file. Does anyone have
details
> on how to do this? I used to know, but it has been a while. Thanks in
> advance.

The magic phrase that causes Google to point you in the right direction
is "MIF snippet." Among other things, it turned up this 2005 FrameUsers
post by Yves Barbion describing how to import a variable using a MIF
snippet:

----------------------
Yes there is a way, Steve, and it's called a "MIF snippet". A MIF
snippet is just a part of a MIF file which only contains one variable
and definition, no other system variables (Running H/Fs), paratags or
chartags.

This is how you do it:

1. Create a MIF snippet (don't worry, you'll find an example of the
"code" at the end of this procedure).

2. Open the MIF snippet in a text editor and change the variable name or
the variable definition.

3. Open the MIF snippet in FM and import its variable definitions (only
one) into the other FM files.

This is an example of a MIF snippet. You can copy this, paste it in a
text editor and change the variable definition and name.

<MIFFile 7.00> # Generated by FrameMaker 7.0p578
<VariableFormats
<VariableFormat
 <VariableName `1-productname01'>
 <VariableDef `<Default \xa6  Font\>Adobe FrameMaker<Default \xa6
Font\>'>
> # end of VariableFormat
> # end of VariableFormats
# End of MIFFile

I guess you'll also have to change <MIFFile 7.00> into <MIFFile 6.00>
because you're using FrameMaker 6.
--------------------

HTH!
Richard