Frame Maker 9 and some questions about its indexing and page limits

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 07:05:49 PDT 2009

First, the P.S. -- remember to cut off the tail of a digest when you
post to the list.

Then, the only practical limitations aren't in Frame -- they have more
to do with how much RAM you can pack into your system and having
enough free space on your hard drive for temp files. The larger the
files get, the more you need. But there are doc sets out there that
routinely top thousands of pages. Aircraft manuals, for example. So
you shouldn't have any capacity problems, provided you use the book
feature to collect component chapters/files.

Within Frame, I don't think that there are limitations on indexing either.
If I were you, I'd pick from the several index tools available -- I
like IXGen -- and talk to the vendor about best practices for their
tool Frank Stearns, the guy behind IXGen, is a great resource.

Two monitors? I think they're pretty much mandatory for any kind of
serious work these days. Especially with Adobe products, which
generally have untidy interfaces. Photoshop started the trend, and
then it seems to have spread as corporate policy.

Cheers,
Art

Art Campbell
               art.campbell at gmail.com