Cross-ref formats

Nancy Allison maker at verizon.net
Tue Aug 4 11:33:19 PDT 2009

Once more, this time with content!

For your technical manuals, what is your preferred set of cross-reference formats?

I'm setting up a template and am trying to figure out a way to avoid having to create multiple x-refs to accommodate different punctuation. You know (x-ref is inside the underscores):

---See __Appendix D, "Frying Pans and Toasters,"__  for more information. (X-ref includes comma inside quotation marks)

---For more information, see __Appendix D, "Frying Pans and Toasters."__ (X-ref includes period inside quotation marks)

---[Inspiration fails me, but I am sure there's a similar example that does not use any punctuation within the quotation marks]

If I create only one x-ref format, using only one kind of punctuation, most nimble tech writers will be able to construct nicely flowing sentences to employ it. Right?

Or, I could decree that we never quote the titles of referenced sections, and omit any punctuation:

---For more information, see __Appendix D__.

But I think that's a lousy solution: I don't want to omit a descriptive title just because it's a pain to set up the x-ref formats for it.

What is your solution?