Cross-ref formats

Matt Sullivan matt at grafixtraining.com
Tue Aug 4 15:38:02 PDT 2009

It sounds to me like we're all discussing the same philosophy: That things
should be easy, controllable, and understandable.

If a print paradigm is most comfortable, then create books with chapters &
the requisite # of headings.

If topic-based authoring seems most straightforward, then go that route.
AFIK, all the tools one might consider will give a nod to print (Word, PDF,
and good ol' File > Print), to Help output, and to structure via DITA or
another model.

I've always preached that the xrefs should be complete units where possible.
This allows for consistency and accuracy in entering them, and for better
understanding, albeit less variety, for the end user.

Now that documentation=printed/PDF manuals=Help=training, the ability to
manage xref formats from 1 template per output is (for me & my clients)is
non-negotiable. I choose to limit the choices in xref formats to the
minimum, mapping to appropriate formats for various outputs (read as "on
import to RoboHelp")

I limit my formatting to 95% of what I want to keep my doc's under control,
rather than jumping thru the endless hoops needed to achieve 100% of what
others perceive as "perfect"

-Matt

Matt Sullivan
GRAFIX Training