Variables established at book level?

David Spreadbury dspreadb at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 14:56:02 PDT 2009

Nancy,
At my last full-time position we developed our documents to a telecommunications spec. In the spec there is defined a DocID (Document Identifier) file. In this file, which is not published with the book, we had place holders for all of the book-wide variables; title, doc no., doc date, etc.

When we worked on a book, this file was usually the first file worked on by updating all of the variables that applied.

Then, with this file saved and minimized, all of the variables were imported to all of the other chapters of the book. Made for a very easy way to control the book-wide variables.