Delete Empty Pages

Thu Aug 27 12:48:29 PDT 2009

Yay, the list is back! I've missed you guys. :-) Thanks to Michelle,
Brad, and Eric for persevering to fix the problem.

For the benefit of the archives, I'll post another reply I sent during
the down time, which apparently went to the bit bucket.

Kelly McDaniel wrote:

> I cannot get Delete Empty Pages to stick. In other words, I'd like to
> set it and whenever FM encounters an empty page, don't print it, don't
> include it in file saves. I've tried each possible iteration. I've
> followed http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/314/314928.html. No Joy.
>
> Is this expected behavior? (I mean by design, not by "FrameMaker just
> does that." :-)
> Is there a Framescript fix?
> I'm a well-experienced user, feeling stupid...Kelly.

The KB article you cited addresses only one reason for empty pages not
deleting (and it's not the most common reason).

More than likely, FM won't delete them because it can't while complying
with your pagination settings. I assume your FM documents are double
sided and in a book. If chapter 1 ends on a right-hand page, but chapter
2 has 1st Page Side set to Right (which is a common way of setting up
books), then FM has to add an empty left-hand page to chapter 1 (every
page has to have a front and back, so a right-hand page can't follow a
right-hand page).

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs