Disappearing anchored frames: strange FrameMaker bug

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 07:47:25 PST 2009

At 10:37 -0500 7/12/09, Fred Ridder wrote:

>This is beginning to make sense. If the frames are anchored in a paragraph that cannot extend across the sidehead area, and the frame is a little too wide to fit within that margin, when you set the frame to float it will float away until it finds a page that has a text frame that the graphic frame can fit within. (This would seem to be one of the basuc use cases that floating frames would be designed to accommodate.)  But when it doesn't find such a page, it floats away into the ether.

Thanks for this insight, Fred. However, none of the paragraph styles extend into the side-head margin - so why doesn't every floating frame vanish (which they don't, only some)?

>As a test, I'd try manually widening the text frame on the page where you want the graphic to float to. My guess is that the float will work in this case.

No: if I understand you correctly, then it still vanishes. However, if I make the anchored frame just less than the main used flow width (i.e. the master page frame minus the 30-point side-head), it doesn't vanish.

--
Steve