Import external file by reference

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Dec 8 13:37:23 PST 2009

Fred Ridder wrote:
>   Responding to kgrace4715 at aol.com <mailto:kgrace4715 at aol.com>, Stuart
> Rogers wrote:
>
>  > You can easily import PDFs, but only by specifying one page at a time.
>  > A multi-page PDF would have to be broken up into many single-page PDFs
>  > (with reliably the same names from version to version) in order for your
>  > Import By Reference scenario to work. There may be a quick way to do
>  > that in Acrobat (or a macro in Word?), but I don't know it. In any
>  > case, if the page count of the source document changes, the workflow
> breaks.
>
> Not quite correct. It is true that each page of a multi-page PDF must be
> imported separately, but the original file does not have to be broken
> into single-page PDF files to do this. If you tell FrameMaker to import
> a PDF that has multiple pages, you are presented with a dialog that
> displays a miniature of the selected page of the PDF and provides you
> with both a number box and a slider bar for you to use to select the
> particular page you want to import.
> And I have to believe that one can programmatically step through the
> pages in an arbitray multi-page PDF via FrameScript or the FDK (although
> I have never looked into this in the slightest).
> -Fred Ridder

Quite so, Fred; I proposed the breaking up of the PDF on the assumption
that only native FM capabilities were available, and that's the only way
that updates would occur automatically upon re-opening the FM file.

Not elegant, but I'm sure you're right about FrameScript.

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical writers explain How to Work the Product."