Switching to Structured FrameMaker

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 12:53:17 PST 2009

At one larger router company that uses XML and proprietary structure, it
takes 20-25% longer to create a document/manual than with unstructured FM.

Better tools and a more general structure may reduce the time, but....

Also, they discovered after several years of doing this that only 33-40% of
content was _ever_ resused.

YMMV, but make sure it's going to work for you before you commit.

Art Campbell
         art.campbell at gmail.com
 "... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and a
redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
                                                     No disclaimers apply.
                                                              DoD 358