Switching to Structured FrameMaker

Fred Wersan fwersan at mak.com
Thu Dec 10 04:35:57 PST 2009

--What was your documentation situation? (How many product lines, how
many publications, how much single-sourcing, how much translation?)

 > I am a single writer documenting 8 products  =~ 16 books and 10 or so
online help systems, with a fair degree of text reuse, plus occasional
contract manuals added in.

--Why did you decide that it was time to switch to structured
documentation? What kind of limit had you reached?

 > I did it so that I could single-source my online help. I was using a
dead-end HAT tool. I now use a home-grown system that wouldn't be
possible without the XML output from Framemaker.

--What kinds of output do you create from structured FrameMaker? books
and online help

--Has structured FrameMaker made your work easier or more efficient? Has
it improved the responsiveness or quality of your documentation?

 > I couldn't do what I do without it, both in terms of my online help
process and text reuse. I think that even aside from the XML/reuse
issue, structured frame fosters improved document quality. To do it
right, you have to get your formatting and style under control - no
rogue para and char formats etc. I also rely heavily on plugins from
West Street Consulting and scripts that I've written with framescript to
automate and manage my doc process. Structured frame gives a level of
control that facilitates this automation process.

As a practical matter, I developed my first EDD over a two month period
and began converting books over the next couple of months, but I've been
tweaking it ever since.

Fred
--
Fred Wersan
Senior Technical Writer

VR-Vantage, MAK's 3D Visual Solution, is here!
Find out how it can fit your simulation at VR-Vantage.com