how to prevent empty pages in a book? (part xxviii)

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Dec 16 09:24:49 PST 2009

Jakob Fix wrote:
> Richard, I should have said this in my initial message, but yes I
> checked this and found the Pagination > Start: Anywhere for the first
> paragraph (which is actually the table itself).

The table itself, the Table Title pgf, or the pgf containing the table
anchor?  All three have their own Start settings that you should check.

> On the second page the only thing that's visible (if text symbols is
> toggled on) is the § sign. Another observation for which I don't have
> an explanation is that the page numbers that are displayed in the
> status bar for each book component file are followed by an asterisk,
> like this: Pages: 180-181 *  Does that mean they've been modified?

The asterisk means the file has been modified, although you may not have
modified the content yourself.  Something as simple as changing the zoom
counts as "modification".  Also, if you generate a TOC or
cross-reference from another file, FM inserts markers thereby also
modifying the files.

> Oh, and we're not using chapters at all (at least not knowingly). The
> numbering for chapters is "as is" -- I could change this to "continue
> numbering from previous file".

Each file that is part of a book is commonly called a "chapter", whether
you title it as such or not.  The numbering properties don't affect
pagination, so don't worry about changing that.

HTH

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical writers explain How to Work the Product."