Frame 9 MAJOR BUG

Frank Stearns franks at fsatools.com
Tue Dec 29 14:30:01 PST 2009

Ouch!

I'm not going to absolve FM9 here, but when those kind of weird things
happen, it's also worth looking at glitches in the OS.

FM (like most apps) will rely on file services from the OS for reading
and writing data. It's possible that in a moment of OS insanity (and
such moments, while rare, do indeed happen), the r/w parameters
intended for one file also got used for the second file.

Sorry if I missed it, but which OS were you using? Were you going
across a network? Has this system seemed fairly stable historically,
or has it shown other quirks from time to time? Any of your disk
volumes nearly full?

None of this is terribly confidence inspiring; best we can do is save
often; backup often.

Hopefully you can recover the lost work without too much grief.

Best of luck with it,

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
franks at fsatools.com <mailto:franks at fsatools.com>
TOLL FREE Voice (USA and Canada):  800-567-6421
USA Voice: 360-892-3970  USA FAX: 360-253-1498
http://www.fsatools.com