Save As PDF from Frame 9 to Acrobat 9 Woes

orandeep at comcast.net orandeep at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 22:31:15 PST 2009

I just loaded Tech Comm Suite 2 onto a brand new Dell Precision M6300.
I was using Frame 8 & Acrobat 8 on a Dell Latitude until this week.
I have always used the Save As PDF, both for Web versions of small size and print versions of high quality with excellent results on the Latitude. This has always been seamless and wonderful.

When I opened the Frame file in Version 9 and did a Save As to Acrobat Version 9, using exactly the same settings, the PDF file became unusable garbage on several fronts:
Fonts were not mapped correctly. (They were a disaster)
Simple raster images became heavily pixelated and garbage (worse than the image in Frame)
Problems included, but were not limited to:
*Impact font did not map at all, became boxes.
*Arial Black was mapped to Times.
*Random areas had strings of characters mapped to different characters, whereas other characters using the exact same font and settings mapped OK.
*The file included (Import by reference) PDFs created from Word that have several different fonts. These fonts were rasterized garbage, whereas in Version 8 they were pass-through fonts that were great at any zoom setting.
*I have Adobe PDF set as the default printer.
I tried different job options and font embedding settings with absolutely no difference in the output results. It was like most settings were being ignored and was like it was trying to use a non-postscript printer (not Adobe PDF) to create the PDF. Postscript functions were not working, that is for sure.

I finally did a print to PDF (which is much less convenient and more troublesome), changing nothing but the method of creating the PDF (Save As vs. Print). (all settings the same). It came out perfect, with all fonts and raster images of the expected quality, basically equal to the Frame 8 Acrobat 8 version.
So do I have a setting wrong, or do we have a major bug here? I really need the Save As to work. I never had issues like these with earlier versions.