Getting a reference to an imported graphic in an anchored frame ofa paragraph.

Thu Feb 5 13:18:59 PST 2009

Berman, Marta wrote:

> I need some help. I've never written an FrameScript in my life, nor
looked
> at the help until an hour ago, so have mercy if this is a simple
question.

> I need to apply the PgfLIndent of any paragraph that contains an
AFrame to
> the imported graphic inside the frame.  I understand from the MIF file
that
> the Para holds a pointer to the Aframe, but not the reverse. It seems
that
> the Aframe has the information I have to change in a structure
referred to
> in the MIF as ImportObject.

I don't know much about MIF, but I noticed that the AFrame properties
you listed included this:

>   <FrameType Below>

I believe that means the anchored frame's Anchoring Position is Below
Current Line (in the Anchored Frame dialog). If that's true, you can't
set an indent for it, you can only set Alignment to Left, Right, Center,
Side Closer to Binding, or Side Farther from Binding.

I believe the first two numbers in the BRect specification you cite are
its X and Y offsets _inside_ the anchored frame, i.e., how far from the
left and top edge of the anchored frame it is.

One way to get the indent you want is to change the anchored frame's
Anchoring Position to At Insertion Point (make sure the anchor pgf's
Line Spacing is not Fixed; and of course, the pgf must be empty), and
then align the imported graphic to the left edge of the anchored frame.

Another approach is leave the Anchoring Position as is, set Alignment to
Right, size the anchored frame to the column width minus the indent
needed, and align the imported graphic to the left edge of the anchored
frame. This is what I do (but manually, when inserting the graphics).

I'm afraid that figuring out how to script either solution is way beyond
my very modest (and mired in v2.x) FrameScript skills. For help with
that (and maybe a relevant example script you can use to get started),
check out the Yahoo! FrameScript Users group:

IIRC, back when I tried to do some graphics manipulation by script, I
had trouble with some anchored frames that contained multiple graphics.
I couldn't programmatically determine which graphic to align to the left
edge of the frame and what adjustments to make to the other(s). If all
the anchored frames contain only a single imported graphic, that
simplifies the task.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs