Frame9 to Acrobat9 SaveAs Woes - Followup

orandeep at comcast.net orandeep at comcast.net
Fri Feb 6 09:41:32 PST 2009

I made a post on this topic on February 3rd.
Below the asterisks is text from that original post for reference.
The responses I received pointed to issues of earlier versions, such as mixed Acrobat versions, font mapping, etc. none of which were relevant for me. I did get a response that the rasterized pdf imports are a known problem and that a bug has been filed.
Doing more research, I found that by checking the "Convert CMYK to RGB" box that all of the issues went away, and that the result is then the same as if "print to PDF" were used.
NOTE: The documented issues of Save As vs Print have never been a problem for our use/operations using earlier versions. Now, by checking this box, the same is true for Version 9.

The bottom line is that the "Preserve CMYK"  feature is seriously trashed on several fronts. It is like a reincarnation of the issues of years ago when folks were trying to create pdf files using printers other than the virtual one recommeded or using non-postscript printers to create pdf. At this time, if you need to preserve your CMYK, my message is "you all be careful out there". For the rest of you, check the box to turn off the preservation and life will be good.
I just loaded Tech Comm Suite 2 onto a brand new Dell Precision M6300.
I was using Frame 8 & Acrobat 8 on a Dell Latitude until this week.
I have always used the Save As PDF, both for Web versions of small size and print versions of high quality with excellent results on the Latitude. This has always been seamless and wonderful.
When I opened the Frame file in Version 9 and did a Save As to Acrobat Version 9, using exactly the same settings, the PDF file became unusable garbage on several fronts:
Fonts were not mapped correctly. (They were a disaster)
Simple raster images became heavily pixelated and garbage (worse than the image in Frame)
Problems included, but were not limited to:
*Impact font did not map at all, became boxes.
*Arial Black was mapped to Times.
*Random areas had strings of characters mapped to different characters, whereas other characters using the exact same font and settings mapped OK.
*The file included (Import by reference) PDFs created from Word that have several different fonts. These fonts were rasterized garbage, whereas in Version 8 they were pass-through fonts that were great at any zoom setting.
*I have Adobe PDF set as the default printer.
I tried different job options and font embedding settings with absolutely no difference in the output results. It was like most settings were being ignored and was like it was trying to use a non-postscript printer (not Adobe PDF) to create the PDF. Postscript functions were not working, that is for sure.