Framemaker SDK and Framescript

Wed Feb 11 07:03:34 PST 2009

Brewster, Christopher C wrote:

> I'm a long-time Word user and have written countless large and small
> programs with Word VBA. Many are to add functionality to the program
and
> many others are to perform such tasks as format conversion. I'm
unclear
> if there's an equivalent for Framemaker. I'd like to hear from users
of
> the SDK and Framescript. Are these meant for the kind of modest
> extensions that people create with VBA, and how much effort is needed
> for a typical addition? What's kind of learning curve do these have,
and
> how long does it typically take a non-genius to gain a usable level of
> skill? Thanks for any advice.

The SDK requires C programming skills, but FrameScript provides a
scripting-language front-end that even I can do useful things with. To
get a sense of what FrameScript script-writing is like, check out the
free tutorials at www.FrameExpert.com.

But since you're proficient with VBA, you should probably look into
FrameAC. I haven't used this less-well-known scripting environment for
FM, but understand the capabilities are similar to FrameScript's, and
you can write scripts in VBScript. Check it out here:

www.mekon.com/index.php/pages/knowledge_zone/frameac/products/technologi
es/create

Of course, whatever tool you use, FM and Word have fundamental
differences, and you'll have to learn the FM DOM.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer