Another table jumping; have I found a bug/feature?

Wed Feb 11 09:52:02 PST 2009

Avraham Makeler wrote:

> Tentative conclusion: it seems that the setting:
>
> "Keep With Next" = true
>
> of the table caption (or maybe of the table anchor on that line) is
> percolating down through all the table rows even though they
themselves
> have
> that setting set to false.
>
> Comments, anyone?

To continue with the thought I introduced with my last response, tables
are objects in FM: To understand just what that means, put the cursor
somewhere to the left of (or above) the table anchor symbol (you do have
View > Text Symbols selected, right?). Now press the right arrow key
repeatedly and watch the text cursor. It doesn't enter the table at all.
It moves past the anchor symbol and continues on to the following pgf.

The table is an object that "sits in" or is "anchored to" a pgf, but
it's outside of the main flow. (Notice that every cell in a table has
its own end-of-flow symbol. They're all independent flows.) In FM, a
table object shares some of the attributes of an anchored frame object.
This is quite different from Word and important to understand.

Here's what that means regarding the behavior you observed: The Keep
With Next setting of the TableCaption pgf (in which the table is
anchored) means "keep with the next pgf _in the flow_," and that's the
pgf following the table in this case.

It might not always be the pgf following the table -- if the table is
set to start at top of page or to float, it won't necessarily follow the
pgf it's anchored in. But the "next" in Keep With Next will always be
the pgf into which the cursor moves next when it leaves the TableCaption
pgf.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs