Another table jumping; have I found a bug/feature?

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 11 11:16:30 PST 2009

I had one further though about Avi Makeler's questions
regarding tables:> Tentative conclusion: it seems that the setting:
> "Keep With Next" = true
> of the table caption (or maybe of the table anchor on that line) is
> percolating down through all the table rows even though they themselves have
> that setting set to false.

The paragraph property "Keep with next pgf" has no effect on paragraphs
within tables nor on the table itself. Each cell of a table is a separate
flow (notice the end-of-flow symbol within each and every cell), so
the "next pgf" and "previous pgf" can only be other paragraphs within
that specific cell. And since FrameMaker *NEVER* splits a table row
across pages there is no point at all to applying the "Keep with next
pgf" property to a paragraph to keep the row from breaking.

The only property that allows you to control where a table can break
across pages is applied to the *rows* of the table, not to cells and
certainly not to paragraphs within cells, which have no "awareness"
of anything outside of the cell's own text flow. The Table>Row Format
dialog allows you to specify "keep with next row" and/or "keep with
previous row" to specify pairs or sets of rows that must not be broken
across pages.

-Fred Ridder