Zapf Dingbats mystery

Les Smalley l_c_smalley at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 08:12:49 PST 2009

Does your colleague actually have the Zapf Dingbat font installed?  Did this happen in FM 6 also or did the dingbat characters display correctly?

Do any error messages appear in the FM console window when opening the document, especially a message to the effect that the Dingbat font is not available and another font (such as Times New Roman) will be used?

I will guess that this is the case, and when he sends the document back to you who does have the font, it opens normally.  This is a feature of FrameMaker - it can make a temporary font substitution so editing can proceed, but when opened on a system with the correct typefaces available the file will show them.

– Lester