Numbering question

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 10:21:33 PST 2009

Lester Smalley wrote (in part):

> You can use more than just letters as the numbering series identifiers; digits and punctuation symbols work also, although can become extremely confusing.
>
> I have not tested it thoroughly, but I believe that any single character may be used as an identifier preceding the colon, so you can have the very cryptic number series <:<n+>

I did do some testing on this a few years back (on FM6), and found that there are, in fact, a few reserved characters that you *cannot* use. As I recall, the left angle bracket, the equals sign, the plus sign, and the colon were among the reserved characters that cannot be used for series labels. But even if you avoid most of the strange or confusing punctuation marks and any character pairs that are easily mistaken (e.g., l and 1, O and 0), you still can define more than 60 independent numbering series, which should be enough for most uses.

-Fred Ridder