mapping that defines the way the entries in the TOCs look

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 1 21:55:56 PST 2009

Another question from Avi Makeler:> Where is the mapping that defines the way the entries in the TOCs look?
> E.g., If I have an appendix level 1 styles, then where is the mapping that
> says that AppendixTOC1 is going to be the style name of the Appendix top
> levels, And where is the info that that is what it looks like?

The names of the paragraph tags that will get picked up in the TOC is set
in the book file via the Set Up Table of Contents dialog.

When the TOC is generated (or updated), FrameMaker adds a "prototype"
paragraph to the "TOC" reference page in the TOC file for each different
paragraph tag that is listed in the book file's Set Up Table of Contents
dialog. Each prototype paragraph has its own paragraph tag which is
identical to the source paragraph tag plus the suffix that is also specified
in the Set Up Table of Contents dialog. By default, the suffix is "TOC", so
that the prototype paragraphs will be tagged "Heading 1TOC",
"Heading 2TOC", etc.

The prototype paragraphs on the "TOC" reference page of the TOC file
determine what content appears in each generated paragraph. By
default this is <$paranum><$paratext>[tab symbol]<$pagenum>.

The actual appearance of each generated paragraph in a TOC is
controlled the same way as for any other FrameMaker file: by setting
up the formatting properties in the Paragraph Designer. The only
difference is that you will be working with a set of paragraph tags
that are unique to the TOC file, such as "Heading 1TOC",
"Heading 2TOC", "Appendix 1TOC", etc.

-Fred Ridder