Discretionary Hyphen Gripe

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 02:02:38 PST 2009

Mike,

Another way to do this is to set all paragraph tags' language seetings
to None. Then the discretionary hyphens will work as expected with the
Hyphenation set. Fastest way to do this is probably search/replace one
file (template) in MIF format (searching for the language setting) and
then import the template's paragraph formats to all the other files in
the book.

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson

2008/12/31 Mike Wickham <info at mikewickham.com>:
> Does anyone find discretionary hyphens as useless as I do? It appears that
> they only work if hyphenation is turned on in the paragraph style, but if
> the paragraph already hyphenates itself, there is little need for them.
>
> I turn hyphenation off because I prefer not to have hyphenated paragraphs.
> However, there are occasional instances where a word is so long that it
> wraps to the next line and leaves a huge white gap in the line above. It's
> ugly as hell. In those instances, I would like to make an exception and
> allow hyphenation for that word. A discretionary hyphen is supposed to do
> this, but won't. I could use a hard hyphen to break the text, but then if an
> edit ever creates reflow, it creates a problem.
>
> Since a discretionary hyphen is an override, why isn't it set up to also
> work in unhyphenated paragraphs? If anyone agrees with me that it should be,
> please add your voice to the feature request form at Adobe:
>
> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
>
> Mike Wickham

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
 -- Edsel Murphy, dec.