Does FM crash on Large files on a regular basis?

Thu Jan 8 13:26:58 PST 2009

Alan Litchfield wrote:

> I would second Richard's recommendation. I would also add that when I
> have printed Visio files to PDF in the past I often get strange
> printing problems show up (depending on the version of Visio). These
> have been lines that appear in the printed output, text that truncates
> or disappears, fonts that get lost, lines that don't print...
>
> Yes the file output filters in Visio are problematic, and the print
> engine seems to parse the file data in strange ways too. So I open the
> files in Illustrator and check that lines are lines and not skinny
> boxes, delete all the strange bounding boxes and masks that Visio
> creates, make certain that all the fonts are of the same variety and
> that text lines are long enough,... In general fix the errors that
> Visio creates. Then use the pdf in Frame and all is good thereafter.

Alan, what version of Visio are you using? I use Visio 2003 with the
PDFMaker from Acrobat 7 Pro installed, and I've never seen those kinds
of problems.

Of course, I'm doing pretty basic stuff -- mainly flow charts, using
standard shapes and connectors that come with Visio, with all text in
Arial or Arial Narrow. So maybe I've just managed to avoid encounters
with the problem areas (whew!). :-)

Art Campbell wrote:

> Yeah, I was including PDF as a viable graphic format to use to replace
> the OLE, just didn't call it out.
> However, PNG has been working really well from Visio 2007. So far. ;-
)

Art, it's good to know Visio's PNG export filter is up to snuff. But PNG
is a bitmap (raster) format. I prefer to keep vector drawings in
scalable vector form, and PDF does that.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.