Creating Booklets in Framemaker

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Mon Jan 12 10:28:34 PST 2009

Unless you are producing something very simple like a four page booklet,
i.e., a single sheet of paper folded in half, your best bet is to create
your document in FrameMaker in terms of logical pages, 1 through n. Then,
create PDF of the FrameMaker document, again in logical page order.

Once you are in Acrobat, there are a two approaches you can take:

(1)	Acrobat 9 provides a simple booklet printing capability that you
can invoke from the print menu. This should work fine as long as you
don't need to do particularly sophisticated things such as supporting
multiple signatures.

(2)	There are several commercially available "imposition" plug-ins
available for Acrobat that provide the ability to take a PDF file in
logical page order and generate a new PDF file setup for direct printing
of booklets, books, etc. One such set of plug-in packages, available for
both Windows and Macintosh, is "Quite Imposing" and "Quite Imposing Plus"
by Quite Software. I have personally used these packages and most strongly
recommend them (Quite Imposing Plus has a number of advanced imposition
controls beyond those of Quite Imposing). See <http://www.quite.com>.

Also, be aware that most reliable printing companies will perform page
imposition as part of their standard service when printing, either offset
of digital. In many cases, the printer has to imposition anyway to take
proper and best advantage of their print process.

	- Dov