Table won't roll to next page

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Jan 13 08:20:50 PST 2009

Deirdre Reagan wrote:
> I fixed it!
>
> I autoconnected the first page to the second page and the table on the
> last page miraculously rolled over to a new page.
>
> I don't know why that worked, but I'm glad it did!

It worked because text frames that have a flow tag and autoconnection
cause FM to automatically create more pages when text reaches the bottom
of the frames.  (That's part of the reason it's called a "flow" --
content is a continuous stream, although it is visible only in discrete
frames and pages.)

Text frames that have no flow connection or tag exist in isolation and
do not cause more pages to be created when they contain too much text.

(Note re terminology:  it is actually frames, not pages, that are
connected.)

The only remaining "don't know" is how the disconnected frame got
created in the first place.  It's possible that someone deliberately
used the Special > Add Disconnected Pages command, thereby foiling FM's
beautiful engineering with their manual intervention.  (Unlike with MS
Weird, it's better to let FM do its own thing ;-)

On the other hand, it is remarkably easy to accidentally create a
flowless, disconnected text frame by selecting a normal frame
(CTRL-click) and moving it while the CTRL key is still pressed.  A
"mouse-stutter" that moves the frame even one pixel and back again is
enough to duplicate the frame (minus flow tag) directly on top of the
original.  If content happens to end on that page, you will see the
end-of-flow marker on the connected frame, while also seeing such a
marker on the disconnected (disconcerting!) frame on top of it.  But if
your content doesn't end on the connected page, it can be very
mystifying indeed.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"A man's screech should exceed his rasp, or what's a violin for?"

--another Rogers Original