FM8 seems to be sluggish on my PC

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Tue Jan 20 11:52:27 PST 2009

I have the same slow cursor speed with FrameMaker 8.0p277 on Windows XP Pro
and on Vista.

1. If the Paragraph Designer is the only palette open, it takes 8 seconds to
scroll across a 50-character column using the right-arrow key.

2. If the Character Designer is the only palette open, it takes 4 seconds to
scroll.

3. If any of the other palettes are open alone, it takes only 2-seconds to
scroll, which is about what I expect.

Opening palettes in combination slows the scroll rate further. There are six
palettes that I like to have open: the Paragraph Designer,
Character Designer, and Table Designer, and  the Paragraph Catalog,
Character Catalog, and Tool palette. I've discovered that two of these are
causing the issue. Here are some notes:

1. If all six palettes are open, it takes about 13 seconds to scroll across
a 50-character column by holding down the right arrow key. Yikes! Too slow!

2. If I then close the Paragraph Designer, it only takes about 5 seconds to
scroll across the column.

3. If I also close the Character Designer, it drops to around 2 seconds.
That's about as it should be.

4. Closing any or all of the remaining palettes also results in a 2-second
normal scroll rate.

So the slowness problem appears to be linked to having  the Paragraph
Designer and Character Designer palettes. Hopefully, this issue will be
fixed with FrameMaker 9. Yes, I'm an optimist. :)

Mike Wickham