Adobe announces FrameMaker 9 and Technical Communication

Maxwell Hoffmann mhoffmann at globalizationpartners.com
Wed Jan 21 08:54:03 PST 2009

I concur with Bernard's analysis. I too have worked with the product for
some time. The pods in the workspaces allow you to see nearly all of your
marker content at one time. You can sort contents of pods in a variety of
ways for pre-flighting or troubleshooting a document. Pods for Cross
References will color code unresolved cross references (avoiding the
"one-at-a-time" search routine.) And, you can finally replace missing fonts
on a per document (or book) basis, without editing maker.ini and restarting
FrameMaker.

In short, after a couple of days working with FM9, I found it irritating to
work with FM8. Yes, there is a learning curve, but it is well worth it.
FrameMaker's previous user interface jelled around 1994, and after 15 years,
it is time for a change.

The new UI will also make the product more accessible to new users and end
the frustration we've all experienced in "getting the people down the hall
to use the product" instead of Word or other inappropriate choices for high
page count projects.

_________________________

Maxwell  Hoffmann
Director, Document Globalization Practice
Globalization Partners International (GPI)
www.globalizationpartners.com
tel: 866.272.5874          direct: 503.336-5952        mobile:
503.805.3719        fax: 202.478.0956
skype: maxwell.hoffmann         email:
mhoffmann at globalizationpartners.com
Follow me on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/maxwellhoffmann
Globalization Partners International, LLC provides document, software and
website translation services into over 100 languages including Arabic,
Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, and Spanish.
Click here to see our latest service: http://tinyurl.com/gpi-doc-analyze