A tale of two TOCs

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 03:56:16 PDT 2009

As posted here previously, I have inherited a template with some seriously bad juju. Any operation on a sample chapter, for example, seems to take ages and produces a few seconds of spinning cursor.

I just built a TOC from the template. All the chapter start page numbers are wrong, and the A heads are listed in the TOC after the chapter titles. This isn't an issue, as a few minute's work allowed me to build a TOC from scratch that worked just fine.

So now I have these two TOCs, and when I rebuild the book one comes out correct and the other comes out completely wrong. My question is, how is this possible?

--
Steve