Converting PDF to Word

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 7 05:37:28 PDT 2009

As wilth any file format conversion process, you will always get the best results if you convert from the original source files rather than from some intermediate format. This is particularly true in the case of PDF, because PDF is a *lossy* file format. It is designed to produce the electronic equivalent of printed pages, and it does not retain much of the structural and organizational content that makes the source file editable rather than a simple page image. Tables and figures present an even greater challenge than text does because the conversion tool must infer a tremendous amount of structural information from a pattern of lines.

Having said all this, you'll get the best results by converting to RTF directly from the FrameMaker files. Frame's own Save As filter is OK, although under some circumstances (e.g. a large number of graphics) it may be so slow that you'll think the computer has crashed; overnight conversions are not unheard of. The best results usually come from the use of Mif2Go, which does an excellent job of creating a Word version that very closely resembles the FrameMaker original.

-Fred Ridder