PDF headaches

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Tue Jul 7 14:09:11 PDT 2009

Jenny,

PostScript does NOT in any way support transparency. It is not part of
the PostScript imaging model. EPS is PostScript. There is no "transparency"
in EPS because there is no transparency in PostScript.

Perhaps you are referring to content without a background? That is not
transparency. Or perhaps you are referring to an image with a clipping
path such that some arbitrary shape of an image is on top of a clear
background? Again, that is not transparency.

I am not trying to quibble here, but make sure that we are all using the
same terminology. Conventional graphic arts terminology for "transparent"
is to describe all non-opaque objects (which quite frankly, should really
have been described as "translucent" - but I'm a dumb engineer, not an
English major and those who came up with the term "transparent" to describe
non-opaque objects were probably not English majors either!).

In terms of clipping paths or clear backgrounds behind either text or vector
objects, there should be no difference whatsoever between creating PDF via
"save as" or via printing to the "Adobe PDF" PostScript printer driver instance
since in both cases, the EPS content is sent through into the output PostScript
stream unmodified.

	- Dov