Automated way to import formats?

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 14 21:26:27 PDT 2009

Assuming that you are using FrameMaker 6.0 or later, you can import the variables and conditional text settings (or any other set of formatting properties) from a template or settings file into all the component files in a book in a single operation. Just select all the files in the book window and then invoke the File>Import>Formats command. FrameMaker will "silently" open, update, save and close each component file that is not already open; any files that are already open will be updated but not saved or closed.

The one gotcha is that all the files must open without any warning messages, such as an unresolved cross-references warning or an unavailable fonts message. Any such messages cause the silent open to fail so the book-level import operation will fail at that point. The workaround is to open all the files first (hold down shift when you select the File menu and all the single-file commands are transformed to "all files in book" commands) so that you can dismiss any warning messages. Then perform the book-level import, then use Shift+File>Save All Files in Book and Shift+File>Close All Files in Book.

But if you're still using FM5.5.6 (possible since you say you're still using the Solaris version), you're basically SOL unless you want to do some scripting.
-Fred Ridder