Soliciting hardware recommendations

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Wed Jul 15 01:02:34 PDT 2009

FrameMaker certainly does run on Vista 64-bit and runs exceptionally well!
I ran FrameMaker 8 and now FrameMaker 9 in that environment without any problem
whatsoever.

What is true is that FrameMaker is a 32-bit application. Vista 64-bit runs
32-bit applications without a problem in 32-bit mode. What you do gain running
a program like FrameMaker under Vista 64-bit is the ability of support much
larger amounts of real memory (I run with 8 gigabytes) and thus run the risk
of less paging activity to kill performance when running multiple applications
concurrently! Also, I have found Vista 64-bit to be rock solid, running for
weeks on end without reboots; my only reboots being necessary for the monthly
"Patch Tuesday" Microsoft OS updates.

	- Dov