Heading levels in a UG

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Wed Jul 15 07:13:38 PDT 2009

> Personally I think that 6 levels is too deep for a user, but that is just
> personal preference that I cannot back up with "evidence".

I agree. I've read more than once that one should try to stay within three
levels of headings (not counting book or chapter titles). In the Chicago
Manual of Style, all I could find is section1.72: "Levels of subheads....
Only the most complicated works need more than three levels."

Six levels would drive me nuts, especially if they have that annoying
1.1.1.1.1.1. style of numbering. Sheesh!

Mike Wickham