Heading levels in a UG

Reid Gray rgray at interactivesupercomputing.com
Wed Jul 15 12:20:04 PDT 2009

Hi Framers,

In general if your heading levels descend below three or four in user documentation, you need to take a step back, analyze, and rebalance.  Nothing new here, just the old axiom "be nice to your user..."   You can apply the same principle to the navigation over enterprise websites.

If you find yourself descending past three or four, redefine your level 1 heads (perhaps a level 1 head gets removed and two level 2s beneath it promoted). Do what makes sense. Rebalance it.  If you find yourself descending past four, five, or six you might have a guide hiding within a guide.  Break it out.

An outline or book structure is like a decision tree or even a binary tree.  The more levels you force me to descend, the higher my cost in 'look-up' latency, the harder it is for me to recall the context or navigate back to the heading, and the more painfully disoriented I become.  If disorientation is a feature or adding levels is a requirement for your particular documentation (legal writing, city electrical codes, cell phone billing statements, philisophical treatise), then you are okay in descending as many levels as needed, just remember to index or enumerate 'said' headings adequately so folks can cite them at a later time from equally disorienting prose.

Another version of "be nice to your user" is "don't Hegel your audience" (although even Hegel had a tendency to articulate or 'piece' general concepts into threes).

Cheers,

Reid