OT: Heading levels in a UG

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 15 12:30:38 PDT 2009

I agree with Neeraj.  Several years ago when I was working at HP, we did
some usability studies (HP is heavy into usability) and we found that most
docs and users could actually get along with just three heading levels.  But
we used four levels because there were often small topics that needed
separating.  Sorry, but I don't have the studies now.  We also use four
heading levels here at HDS.

Neeraj makes a good poing about scrolling.  Users don't like to have to
scroll very far to find what they are looking for.  To minimize the amount
of scrolling users must do to display the information they are looking for,
you can include a set of links at the beginning of each chapter  Note that
these links are NOT a chapter TOC. TOC information is already included in
the Bookmarks.  Instead, these links are manually created Xrefs to the tasks
or information that the writers and/or SMEs have determined that users need
most. The Xrefs can link to any heading, paragraph, figure, or table, as
needed.

Creating the links is a bit of work, but we have a reason for it. Our goal
at HDS is that users should be able to find any information they are looking
for in a PDF in 3 clicks or 30 seconds or less.  We start with a link on the
front cover that takes them to a table in the Preface.  The table includes
linked chapter names and a one sentence descripton of the chapter contents.
The chapter links take the users to the beginning of the chapter or appendix
of interest.  BTW, our beta tests confirm that this works.

Diane Gaskill
Hitachi Data Systems