OT: Heading levels in a UG

Andy Kass akass at jaspersoft.com
Thu Jul 16 09:08:55 PDT 2009

Very interesting topic, and quite a funny anecdote about ET pigeonholing tech writers. We have 4 levels in our templates, including the chapter title, but usually avoid going down to 4. So most content is under

1 Chapter Title (actually a Heading 1)
1.2 Heading 2
1.2.3 Heading 3

For our type of doc (user and admin guide for GUI-based application), this really covers it. We find that if we have smaller pieces, we put them together in a bulleted list with lead-ins (* Lead-in - Text...) or in a table. Both easily support 1-3 paragraphs per item and provide a way of grouping similar information (button functionality, etc.). One thing we do is flatten some levels, when the logical distinction between them is not important. You can also refactor the lower levels to a higher level especially if it is more in line with use cases. To illustrate both techniques:

1. Administration                  VS 1. Administration with the GUI
1.1 User Management                   1.1 Creating Users
1.1.1 Creating Users                  1.2 Deleting Users
1.1.1.1 Creating Users with the GUI   1.3 Creating Roles
1.1.1.2 Creating Users with the CLI   1.4 Creating Roles
1.1.2 Deleting Users
1.1.2.1 Deleting Users with the GUI   2. Administration with the CLI
1.1.2.1 Deleting Users with the CLI   2.1 Creating Users
1.2 Role Management                   2.2 Deleting Users
1.2.1 Creating Roles                  2.3 Creating Roles
1.1.2.1 Creating Roles with the GUI   1.4 Creating Roles
1.1.2.1 Creating Roles with the CLI
1.2.2 Deleting Roles
1.1.2.1 Deleting Roles with the GUI
1.1.2.1 Deleting Roles with the CLI

We do use heading 4s for really big chunks of subordinate matter. For reference docs, sometimes the extra levels are unavoidable due to the complexity and levels in the product itself.

  Andy

akass at jaspersoft.com