Version 9 - XML support

Alison Peck alison at clearly-stated.co.uk
Sun Jul 19 04:33:24 PDT 2009

I'm currently using FM 7.2 and WebWorks standard to typeset a magazine and
export the contents both as PDF (for print) and XML (which is sent off to
someone else who prepares it for a variety of other formats). I'm using FM
as opposed to any other tool primarily because:

1)      I had a copy before taking on this job, and know how to use it

2)      The XML produced via WebWorks was suitable for whatever (I don't
have details) was being done with it, for minimal extra effort on my part.

I'm reaching the stage where lack of Unicode support is starting to become a
bit of a problem. I've got the odd Hebrew character in equations this time
around, and can't get these into the document. New versions of FM don't come
with WebWorks as a bundle (I believe?), so my questions are:

1)      If I upgrade, will my existing version of WebWorks (version 8.0)
work with the new FM - has anyone tried?

2)      Is the XML output from version 9 of FM good? (Basically, I have FM
paragraph and character formats mapped to tags - primary purpose of my work
is for print, so there is always a bit of a compromise)

3)      Can anyone recommend a better package, if I'm going to have to spend
the money anyway? (I was wondering what InDesign's XML export is like.)

Thanks in advance,

Alison