Request Info on DocBook

Mollye Barrett mollye at clearpath.cc
Thu Jul 23 10:50:42 PDT 2009

I have used DocBook for many years. As a structure model, DocBook is robust
and met all our needs for documenting heavy equipment in 24 languages. It is
well developed and well supported.

Given the development work is done up front, some people learn quickly while
others struggle. On the development side, successful implementation requires
a substantial understanding of XML. Then, there is the content modeling to
determine the elements needed and the best use of attributes. Frame has it's
own approach to handling DocBook, but it's quite workable.

Everything is based on having a sound content strategy and development
support. DocBook is not magic. Humans must configure the model for optimal
results. I have avoided customizing DocBook as new releases provide fixes
and useful enhancements.

Some training is essential for writers to become efficient. Technology needs
to provide real benefits for authors and not get in the way of their work.
If your team is not willing to learn a new technology today, what would
entice them to learn tomorrow?

Keep me posted on your progress!

Mollye Barrett
ClearPath, LLC