Framemaker vs XMetal for structured authoring

Andersen, Verner Engell VEA verner.andersen at radiometer.dk
Wed Jul 29 01:04:20 PDT 2009

Hi
I currently use unstructured Framemaker for pdf output. I single-source
my content - and via Webworks Publisher I output to context-sensitive
help in Webworks help format.

My 5 colleagues use Word and output to pdf for printing. We plan to go
structured and are considering whether we should use Framemaker or
XMetal.

Do any of you know where I can find an unbiased comparison of the two
tools?

I have been told that the major disadvantage of using Framemaker is that
you are required to save in binary format to keep the
Framemaker-specific XML processing instructions (pls). If you store in
xml-format you cannot retrieve and maintain conditional text. Callouts
on drawings (the graphics tool in Framemaker) will be rasterized, and
even paragraph styles can be discarded if you save a document as XML.

What are the implications of sacrificing saving documents as XML?

Another advantage in favor of XMetal should be that it has
vendor-supported integration with most content management systems (CMS).
Apparently XMetal seems to be the best choice.

What are your comments?

Thanks,

Verner

Radiometer Medical ApS
Akandevej 21
2700 Bronshoj
Denmark
Phone: +45 38 27 38 27
CVR: 27 50 91 85
www.radiometer.com
For the latest trends in acute care testing, go to Radiometer's knowledge site www.acutecaretesting.org

Please be advised that this email may contain confidential information.
 If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy or
re-transmit this email.  If you have received this email in error,
please notify us by email by replying to the sender and by telephone
(call us collect at +1 202-828-0850) and delete this message and any
attachments.  Thank you in advance for your cooperation and assistance.

In addition, Danaher and its subsidiaries disclaim that the content of
this email constitutes an offer to enter into, or the acceptance of,
any
contract or agreement or any amendment thereto; provided that the
foregoing disclaimer does not invalidate the binding effect of any
digital or other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is
included in any attachment to this email.