Bookmap

Bertrand Lefort blefort at uottawa.ca
Wed Jul 29 12:33:32 PDT 2009

Hello,

I am a new user of Framemaker. We are currently implementing Framemaker and DITA to manage or systems documentation for users.

I have a question concerning the creation of complete book structure with cover page, TOC, content...
I found one way with standard ditamap but it seems that bookmap would be better for us, I cannot figure how to use it.

1) Using the documentation, we found a first way to do it : We built a first complete documentation with success using ditamap and ditaval to create a composite FM documents. Then we created a book and add the file, add a cover page (unstructured) and a TOC (unstructured). Everything seems to works well, we will have to rebuild the composite FM documents each time we make an update to a concept or a file. Ok

2) I use FM 9, which comes with bookmap. In the concept, bookmap seems perfect for us, but I do not really understand how to use it. I can create a bookmap, set a title, define parts, chapters, add references to my file. I found the structure great because attributes allows us to add metadata for this book. After this point I do not understand where to go:

- TOC : I found that I can add a frontmatter, then a booklist and then a TOC. Fm requires a file for the toc.

- creating my first book with bookmap : I have no idea what is the next step. When I create the FM composite document, FM use the same template (topic.template I think) and create a XML DITA file but I lost all the information of my bookmap.

I was in the idea that I will have a more complex structure that will integrate DITA structure inside a book structure which will have its own template to output title, chapters information ... but it seems it does not work like that.

Can someone help me to find the right path ?

Thank you for your help.

Bertrand

Bertrand Lefort

Webmestre et programmeur | Webmaster and developer
University of Ottawa
550, rue Cumberland, pièce 066 | 550, Cumberland Street, room 056
Ottawa, ON, K1N 6N5

Tél. | Phone : 613 562 5800 x 1857
Téléc. | Fax. : 613 562 5206

http://www.uOttawa.ca/

Université d'Ottawa | University of Ottawa
L'Université canadienne | Canada's university

Le présent courriel et toutes les pièces jointes contiennent de l'information privée, exclusive, privilégiée et/ou confidentielle, sujette au droit d'auteur s'adressant uniquement au destinataire. Toute utilisation, copie ou distribution non autorisée du contenu de ce courriel est strictement interdite. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce message et que vous l'avez reçu par erreur, veuillez le supprimer et en informer immédiatement l'expéditeur.
This e-mail communication, including all attachments, may contain private, proprietary, privileged and/or confidential information and subject to copyright. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized use, copying or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Please delete this e-mail and notify the sender immediately, if you are not the intended recipient, and have received it in error.